A Brief History of Forest Hills
Forest Hills is a borough in Allegheny County and a suburb of Pittsburgh. Its population was around 6,500 as of the 2010 census. The borough was named after Forest Hills, Queens in New York City. The community is bordered by Braddock Hills, North Braddock, Churchill, Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, Swissvale and more. Around the time Fort Pitt was built and the Forbes expedition happened in 1758, settlers started getting grants all through the land that is now known as Forest Hills. Allegheny Country was formed from parts of Westmoreland and Washington counties and then divided into townships. Forest Hills was part of Pitt Township until 1812, then it was divided and became Wilkins Township. It was again divided in the 1850s and part of Forest Hills stayed in Wilkins Township while the other joined Braddock Township. Residents felt they were paying a lot in taxes and receiving very few benefits so they met with the intention of creating a borough, and hence Forest Hills borough was born.
Facts about Forest Hills
Forest Hills is known for its family-oriented activities. There are multiple parks and a large pool. Adults have access to yoga, aerobics, pool classes, scrapbooking and more. Forest Hills is home to historic landmark the “Westinghouse Atom Smasher.” The Atom Smasher operated until 1958 and was a five-million volt Van de Graaf generator and particle accelerator. Forest Hills’ population was spread out as of the 2010 census, with around 20% spread evenly among those under age 20 to 65 and older.