A Brief History of Wilmerding

History of Wilmerding

Wilmerding is a borough in Allegheny County with a population of around 2,000. George Westinghouse bought land in the Turtle Creek valley from 1887 to 1888 as a site for his Westinghouse Air Brake Company and related businesses.

The East Pittsburgh Improvement Company then bought the land from Westinghouse and developed it, beginning to sell lots in June of 1889. Wilmerding was born, named after Joanna Wilmerding (Bruce) Negley, who was the wife of William B. Negley (landowner and nephew of Thomas Mellon). The most historic structure is the Westinghouse Air Brake Company General Office Building on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Facts about Wilmerding

 

History of Wilmerding

Wilmerding is bordered by Monroeville, Wall, East McKeesport, Turtle Creek as well as North Versailles. As of the 2000 census, Wilmerding had just over 2,000 people and about 500 families.

Out of approximately 1,000 homes, 21.4% had kids under the age of 18 living with them and the average household size was 2 with an average family size of 2.88. The population was spread out according to age, with the majority ages 25 to 44. The Borough of Wilmerding is very active online, posting a more detailed history as well as council minutes. The latest meeting discussed a program to help the homeless in the area.

 

[mappress mapid=”10″]

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!

X
%d bloggers like this: