A Brief History of Duquesne
The city of Duquesne is located in Allegheny County along the Monongahela River. It is located 12 miles south of downtown Pittsburgh. The history of Duquesne revolves largely around the steel industry. The city was settled back in 1789 and incorporated approximately 100 years later. The city got its name from Fort Duquesne. A steel mill called Duquesne Works was the center of the neighborhood during its most successful time in the early 20th century. The community was home to the largest blast furnace in the world called the Dorothy Six. It was so famous Bob Dylan actually wrote a song about it called “Duquesne Whistle.” The city’s population peaked in 1930 and unfortunately declined from there due to deindustrialization in the ’60s. Duquesne now has less residents than it had mill workers in the ’40s.
Facts about Duquesne
There are many individuals who’ve risen to fame that are from Duquesne. There’s Gene Gedman, who served as running back for the Detroit Lions, Earl Hines, a jazz pianist, architect Frederick J. Osterling, MLB umpire Johnny Stevens and more. When Duquesne High School closed in 2007, students moved to West Mifflin High School or East Allegheny High. Since July of 2007, the Allegheny Intermediate Unit manages all academic and business operations in the city’s K-8 area.