Pittsburgh is going through an extremely upsetting time right now, with news of a gunman opening fire and killing people inside a Squirrel Hill synagogue. One Pittsburgh icon, Fred Rogers, always spoke about kindness and love rather than hate and cruelty. Here are seven quotes by the man who called Squirrel Hill home. The last quote is particularly moving—let’s make things better for the next generation. They deserve a peaceful world. Stay strong, Pittsburgh, we will get through this together.
1. “There are three ways to ultimate success—The first way is to be kind, the second way to be kind and the third way is to be kind.”
2. “To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.”
3. “There’s no person in the world like you, and I like you just the way you are.”
4. “The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile.”
5. “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, look for the helpers. You will always find the helpers.”
6. “Peace means far more than the opposite of war.”
7. “One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation.”
Join the movement. #OnePittsburgh.