Carrick, on the southeastern side of the City of Pittsburgh, is located directly between the South Hills and Downtown. Situated on the crest of a hill west of the Monongahela River (also known as “Hilltop” by many residents), it is bordered by Knoxville, Mt. Oliver Borough, Mt. Oliver, St. Clair, Baldwin, Brentwood, Overbrook, Brookline and Bon Air.
The main road through Carrick is Brownsville Road, running across the crest of the hill for about 2 miles. It contains business districts and residential areas.
Originally part of the Ormsby land grant from King George III in 1763 for Major Ormsby’s service during the French and Indian War, Carrick and Mt. Oliver were once known as “Ormsby”.
In 1853, permission was granted by the US Postal Service to establish a post office in the area. Dr. John H. O’Brien received the grant and was given permission to also “name” the office. He chose the name Carrick after his home town in Ireland, Carrick-on-Suir. In 1904 the area officially became a borough and was annexed into the City of Pittsburgh in 1926.
There is a Carnegie library branch and also a number of recreation areas, including Phillips Park and Volunteers Field. The U.S. Department of Energy named the neighborhood the first “Cool Community” in the northern states for the communities efforts in planting trees and conserving energy, as well as efforts to weatherize local homes and renovate the high school to a “green building” status.