Glen Hazel is located on the east end of Pittsburgh. Bordered by Hazelwood, Squirrel Hill and the Monongahela River. The Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Hazelwood and Glen Hazel derive their names from the abundance of hazelnut trees that covered the area along the river. One of the original settlers was John Wood, an accomplised lawyer whose father George was an early surveyor of Pittsburgh.
In the 1800’s this area attracted some of Pittsburgh’s wealthiest familys, building large and stately homes. The late 1800’s saw the incorporation of industry and railroads into the area, due to the location between the coal mines of Connelsville and downtown Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh and Connelsville railroad and later Jones and Laughlin brought many jobs in the iron, steel and railroad industry, paving streets and laying track through the area to connect.
Today Glen Hazel is mostly residential with numerous parks and green spaces. The community is noted for it’s many churches and the active roles played in community development and outreach, focusing on youth programs. Proximity to shopping areas in the Waterfront across the river and Squirrel Hill’s business district provide convenient reach to residents of this area.