Manchester, on the north side of Pittsburgh, was originally part of Allegheny City until annexed into the City of Pittsburgh in 1907. The neighborhood’s name came most likely from the English immigrants who settled the area, possibly do the the fact that the city of Birmingham, across the Monongahela River, was named for another English industrial city. Manchester was planned in 1832, became a borough in 1843 and was merged with Allegheny City in 1867 due to common industrial interests.
In the later 1800’s, many industrial companies were located in the area, to include Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works and Star Iron Works. The Manchester Docks along the river were very busy!
This let to a large residential area in Mancester to serve the residents and workers of industry close by. A large amount of nineteenth century individual and row homes were developed. There were also the more wealthy Victorian mansions.
At the beginning of the 20th Century, Manchester began to lose the industrial base, into the 1960’s. An effort to revitalize and preserve the area arose with the URA in Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. The Manchester Historic District was registered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and helps to maintain over 600 buildings on 51 Acres in the neighborhood.
Manchester was rated one of the top 10 neighborhoods due to it’s quiet, walkable streets and easy access to public transportation and major roadways.