Avalon is located about 6 miles west of Pittsburgh. It was originally contained in a part of Pine Township that split into Kilbuck Township in 1869. It petitioned for the right to incorporate itself in 1875 and was named after the legendary island of Avalon, which means “land of apples”. There were, in fact, several orchards in the surrounding hills.
Streetcars came through the neighborhood around 1900 and soon after the railroads. Avalon is a quaint and peaceful residential area with tree-line streets and large homes. It is served by the Northgate School District.
Avalon is bordered by Ben Avon Heights, Kilbuck Township, Bellevue and Ben Avon. It also rests on the banks of the Ohio River, across from which is Neville Island. The Davis Island Lock and Dam Site’s location is designated as Avalon.