In 1854, Sewickley Township (not Sewickley Borough) was created from parts of Ohio Township. It was a hilly and wooded area. The earliest know settler, Frederick Merriman, had purchase 300 acres around 1808. He was followed by a Methodist Preacher named Thomas McClelland, in 1811, who used his residence for church services. As more settlers followed for the beautiful topography, schools were built.
The growth of the railroads in Western Pennsylvania demanded more lumber for railroad ties, and trees in the area were cut to satisfy this demand. As the region grew, so did the township. In 1890 oil and gas were discovered, leading to many wells in the area. Finally, in March of 1960, Sewickely Township became Bell Acres Borough. Home to rolling hills, beautiful Bell Acres Nature Park, palatial homes as serviced by Quaker Valley School district, the borough is made up of mostly residential properties.
Bell Acres Borough is bordered by Economy, Franklin Park, Sewickley Hills, Edgeworth and Leet Township