Blawnox is a small town located about 9 miles east and up the Allegheny River from the Point in the City of Pittsburgh. Founded in the late 1700s as the town of Hoboken. Later 2 industrial companies, the Blaw Steel Co. and the Knox Welded and Pressed Steel Company merged in 1917 to become the Blaw-Knox Steel Construction Company. U.S. Postal regulations and the fact that the town of Hoboken, New Jersey had already adopted the name meant that it could not keep the name. The town grew, and adopted the name Blawnox in honor of the companies that provided much of the town’s employment. A true steel town.
The town was officially incorporated from O’Hara Township independently on April 13, 1925.
There was also an amusement park located on the hill, known as the National Amusement Park. Not much history remains of this old landmark, which had roller coasters and other rides and closed in the early 1930’s.
Today, Blawnox is known as a quiet community on the Allegheny River. Freeport Road, the main road through the town, has shops, restaurants and businesses.
The town is bordered by O’Hara Township and the Allegheny River.