The earliest known settlers of Collier Township were Gabriel & Isaac Walker, Ken Hutton and James Ewing. Ewing, from Cecil County, Maryland, settled in the area building a gristmill on Robinson’s run and claimed about 1000 acres as his land. The Walkers, born in Lancaster County (many miles to the East), arrived in 1772 purchasing 2000 acres from John Henry.
Collier Township was created in 1875 from portions of South Fayette and Robinson Townships, as well as a small part (1/2 sq. mile) of North Fayette. It is the namesake of Frederick H. Collier, then a county court judge.
Today the township is comprised of 8 distinct neighborhoods – Walker’s Mill, Rennerdale, Presto, Nevillewood, Hickman, Fort Pitt, Ewingsville and Beechmont.
Collier Township has seven borders, including Robinson Township to the north and northeast, Carnegie and Heidelberg to the east, Scott Township to the east and southeast, Bridgeville to the south-southeast, South Fayette Township to the south and southwest, and North Fayette Township to the west.