Kilbuck Township

Kilbuck Township

Kilbuck Township, located about 12 miles west to the northwest of the City of Pittsburgh, was founded in 1869 as a division of Ohio Township.  Named after the Chief of the Shannopin Indians, who took the Christian name John Kilbuck, much of the original township area was used to create the communities of Avonworth, Ben Avon, Emsworth and Ben Avon Heights.   Chief Gelelemend (John Kilbuck) fought along side the American Revolutionaries.

Early in this region’s history, Kilbuck Township was located near many natural resources, and also the Ohio River – water transportation.  With that and a newly constructed railroad settlers at the time were drawn to the area.  Today, Kilbuck Township’s location close to the city of Pittsburgh make the amenities of the city convenient and also allow for a sense of small community.

Kilbuck Township has eight land borders, including Glenfield and Aleppo Township to the west, Ohio Township to the north, Ross Township to the east, Avalon and Ben Avon Heights to the southeast, and Ben Avon, and Emsworth to the south. Across the Ohio River to the south, Kilbuck Township runs adjacent with Neville Township.

 

Kilbuck Township
Kilbuck Township
Kilbuck Township
Kilbuck Township
Kilbuck Township

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!

X
%d bloggers like this: