Mt. Lebanon is a township in Allegheny County and located in the Pittsburgh metro area approximately 7 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. In 1912, it was created as “Mount” Lebanon, but its name was officially changed to “Mt.” Lebanon in 1975.
The first settlers in the area bought the land from descendants of William Penn in 1773 or 1774. Mt. Lebanon was a farming town until streetcars came in the early 1900s. Once they did, many commuted into downtown Pittsburgh and Mt. Lebanon, like many Pittsburgh suburbs at the time, was dubbed a “streetcar suburb.” Once the Liberty Tubes were completed in 1924, the neighborhood’s population grew from around 2,000 to over 13,000 people.
Today, Mt. Lebanon is known for it’s beautiful tree-lined streets and gorgeous stone homes, a large portion of which were named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014. The business district of Mt. Lebanon, along Washington Road, is known for eclectic shops, restaurants, bars and coffee houses.