History of East Pittsburgh
The first transmission from KDKA was made from East Pittsburgh on November 2, 1920. Eight years later, Westinghouse labs demonstrated the use of television from East Pittsburgh. Westinghouse Works in the area became the Research and Business Park called Keystone Commons in 1989. In 1970 and ’71, the East Pittsburgh School District was merged by court order with neighboring Turtle Creek. The population in 1900 stood at just under 3,000 and a decade later, jumped to almost 6,000. George Westinghouse built lots of equipment to power plants outside Niagara Falls and rapid-transit systems of New York.
Facts about East Pittsburgh
The George Westinghouse Bridge over Turtle Creek is a big fixture in the area. East Pittsburgh has four borders including Chalfant, Turtle Creek, North Versailles, and North Braddock. Novelist Joseph Wambaugh, who wrote best-sellers about accounts of police work. In both the 2012 and 2016 elections, East Pittsburgh voters voted fairly split between Democrats and Republicans. The East Pittsburgh School District used to house Bessemer Ave. Elementary School and East Pittsburgh Junior/Senior High School. The school colors were green and white and their team was called the Shamrocks. East Pittsburgh is just about three miles outside the city limits of Pittsburgh. Just over 2,000 people were recorded as living in East Pittsburgh at the last census.