A Brief History of Glassport
Glassport was originally part of Elizabeth Township before it was its own borough in Allegheny County. In 1902, it became its separate municipality at just over one and a half miles. The United States Glass Co., built in 1894, was the mill the town was built around. It quickly earned the nickname “The Glass House.” Glassport got its name from the Glassport Land Company. The U.S. Glass Company was located in the area, down near the Mon River on 7th St. The company, which specialized in pressed glass, tableware and other glass-related items, was damaged in a tornado. The 1963 storm ended up collapsing their 80-foot tower through the building’s roof. Furnaces shut down and all the liquid glass ended up hardening. There was a 250 ton block of solid glass that made things just too expensive and time consuming to rebuild.
Facts about Glassport
Former pro football player George Hays called the neighborhood his home. Also, current Steeler Jesse James hails from Glassport. The Mayor of Glassport (as of 2019) is Keith DiMarco, whose term began in 2018. The borough is a total area of 1.9 square miles. In the 2012 and 2016 elections, most in Glassport voted Republican. Glassport reached peak population in 1940 with 8,748 people. It has since declined by half.