North Fayette Township is located about 15 miles west of Pittsburgh in Allegheny County. It was known for it’s farming and coal mining during the 1800s and into the early 20th century, having one of the largest and richest regions of bituminous coal. The Montour Railroad was responsible for moving the coal out of the many mines that operated in the area and provided transportation for the Imperial Coal Company, the namesake of the town of Imperial in North Fayette.
North Fayette is home to many small villages with ties to American History. Some, such as Glen Gormley, were rumored to be stops on the Underground Railroad. Others, such as Santiago, were named after historic battles (such as the battle of Santiago in the Spanish-American War).
Noblestown is considered one of the oldest towns in Western Allegheny County, dating back to 1773 – originally called Noblesburg, it was named for Col. Henry Noble, who built one of the very first flower mills.
Today, North Fayette comprises about 27 square miles of urban and rural property. It is conveniently located just 10 miles from the Pittsburgh International Airport, as well as shopping districts and educational facilities such as the Pittsburgh Technical Institute.