Scott Township is located about 3 miles south-southwest of the city of Pittsburgh. It’s considered a “commuter suburb”. Scott Township is bordered by Carnegie, Greentree, Mount Lebanon, Bridgeville, Collier Township and Heidelberg. This Pittsburgh Suburb was incorporated in 1861 and named for Winfield Scott, a veteran and then General in the Army and active in both the War of 1812 and the Mexican War (1846-48). He was also a candidate for President, having been nominated by the Whig Party in 1853.
The area was originally the site of a military battle involving General Forbes’ expedition to defeat the French at Fort Duquesne in 1758. This led to the settlement of the area over time. Early settlement took place near the site of St. Luke’s Church, a prominent landmark in the area. The Whiskey Rebellion of the late 1700s also helped to shape the history of this Chartiers Valley settlement. The original St. Luke’s Church was burned during the rebellion. The current structure was built in 1852, and is actually the 3rd.
Chartiers Creek forms the western boundary of the area. It was considered a major waterway in the 1800s and an important part of the development of the township. Early businesses sprung up around the creek, including the Lindsay Glassworks and a few coal mines. It was also the site of the first school house and post office, near Leasdale. The Chartiers Valley Railroad had stops in both Leasdale and Woodville.
Today Scott Township is largely suburban, with quiet sprawling neighborhoods, and active local government, and ample parks and recreation areas for it’s residents and visitors to enjoy.