A Brief History of Aleppo Township
Aleppo was incorporated as a township on June 7, 1876. It was taken from the farthest western portion of Kilbuck Township. The community was previously part of the Depreciation Lands reserved for Revolutionary War vets. Not much settlement occurred in the area in the 1800s, so Aleppo ended up losing out on crucial land to places like Sewickley Heights and Haysville. It later became incorporated in 1876 and then a first class township in 1960.
Facts about Aleppo Township
The township only has a total area of just under 2 miles. The average elevation is just over 1,000 feet above sea level. Aleppo has six communities bordering it, including Sewickley Heights, Kilbuck, Haysville, Osborne and Sewickley. As of the 2010 census, the population was approximately 2,000 at the 2010 census. The township’s mix of housing styles and its closeness to major thoroughfares like Interstate 79 and Ohio River Boulevard makes it a wonderful place for commuters to live. Aleppo is actually served by the Ohio Township Police Department. Aleppo got an overall B+ grade for livability with high ranks for families, schools and crime and safety. Most people own rather than rent homes in the township. Its median home value is $186,400. The age group most represented in Aleppo is 45 to 64, covering approximately 30 percent of the population.