Experience the Magic of Autumn: 10 Must Visit Fall Festivals Near Pittsburgh
As the leaves change colors, the air turns crisp, and the pumpkin-spice-everything trend takes over, there’s no denying that fall is upon us. And what better way to embrace the season than to participate in the numerous fall festivals near Pittsburgh. These events offer a delightful array of activities, from apple picking and corn mazes to live music performances and classic autumnal foods.
Below, we’ve curated a list of the ten best fall festivals near Pittsburgh that you absolutely must attend this season.
Savor the Sweetness at the Monster Pumpkin Festival
The Monster Pumpkin Festival is a unique event that celebrates all things pumpkin. Held at The Stacks at 3 Crossings in the Strip District, the festival showcases a variety of pumpkins, some even weighing over 2,000 pounds.
- Pumpkin Carving: Watch as skilled carvers transform massive pumpkins into intricate works of art.
- Pumpkin Drop: Don’t miss the spectacle of a one-ton pumpkin being hoisted 140 feet in the air and then dropped into a blow-up kiddie pool.
- Hand-Blown Glass Demonstrations: Witness artists create beautiful glass ornaments right before your eyes.
- Food & Drinks: There’s no shortage of delicious fall-themed food and beverages to sample.
Experience Bavarian Culture at Oktoberfest Celebrations
Oktoberfest is a beloved German tradition that has found a home in Pittsburgh. There are numerous Oktoberfest celebrations around the city, each offering a unique blend of authentic German foods, beers, and cultural activities. Here are a few standout Oktoberfest events:
Penn Brewery Oktoberfest
Penn Brewery hosts an annual Oktoberfest celebration that is known for its lively atmosphere and extensive selection of German beers.
Hofbrauhaus brings a taste of Munich to Pittsburgh with their Oktoberfest event, featuring traditional Bavarian music, dancing, and, of course, plenty of beer.
Teutonia Mannerchor Oktoberfest
Teutonia Mannerchor offers a unique Oktoberfest experience, with German music, food, and a lively beer garden.
Enjoy a Spooky Sail with Halloween Cruises
The Gateway Clipper offers a unique Halloween experience with their themed river cruises. These cruises provide a fun and family-friendly way to celebrate the season.
Haunted Halloween Cruise
Enjoy a thrilling experience as the cruise turns into a floating haunted house, complete with ghoulish decorations and eerie music.
Kid’s Halloween Cruise
This cruise features a costume party, dancing, and treats for a fun-filled Halloween celebration that’s perfect for the whole family.
Pick the Perfect Pumpkin at Local Farms
Pumpkin farms are a quintessential part of the fall experience. These farms offer a variety of activities, from pumpkin picking and hayrides to corn mazes and petting zoos. Here are a few local farms that host fantastic fall festivals:
Soergel Orchards in Wexford hosts a Fall Festival featuring hayrides, a pumpkin patch, and an array of fall treats.
Simmons Farm in McMurray offers a variety of fall activities, including a petting zoo, pumpkin carving displays, and a butterfly house.
Triple B Farms
Triple B Farms in Monongahela hosts a Fall Festival with hayrides, games, and a chance to pick your own pumpkin.
Celebrate Industrial Crafts at the Festival of Combustion
The Festival of Combustion in Swissvale is a unique event that celebrates industrial arts. The festival provides participants with the opportunity to learn about and experience various industrial crafts through a series of hands-on workshops and demonstrations.
- Welding Demonstrations: Watch as skilled craftsmen manipulate metal with precision and creativity.
- Glassblowing Workshops: Try your hand at this ancient art form under the guidance of experienced instructors.
- Blacksmithing: Learn about the age-old craft of blacksmithing and see how metal is shaped and formed.
- Whiskey Distilling: Discover the process behind making whiskey and taste some samples.
Explore Asian Culture at the Asian Lantern Festival
The Asian Lantern Festival at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium is a visual spectacle that showcases hand-crafted lanterns in various shapes and sizes. This festival also offers a chance to learn about Asian culture and enjoy themed food and entertainment.
- Illuminated Displays: Marvel at the stunning lanterns that light up the night sky.
- Live Performances: Enjoy traditional Asian music and dance performances.
- Cultural Exhibitions: Learn about different aspects of Asian culture through various exhibits.
- Asian Cuisine: Sample a variety of Asian dishes and drinks.
Enjoy a Rustic Adventure with Bump in the Night
The Bump in the Night event held at the Frick Environmental Center offers a chance to experience the thrill of a night hike in the woods. The event also features a campfire where you can roast marshmallows and listen to spooky stories.
- Night Hike: Embark on a guided hike under the stars and explore the nocturnal wonders of the forest.
- Campfire: Gather around a cozy campfire, roast marshmallows, and listen to ghost stories.
- Pumpkin Picking: Each child gets to choose their own pumpkin to take home.
Experience Crafts and Heritage at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival
The Bedford Fall Foliage Festival is a beloved tradition that celebrates the vibrant colors of fall. The event features a wide range of activities, including a parade, live music, food vendors, and a craft fair.
- Parade: Enjoy a vibrant parade featuring marching bands, floats, and community groups.
- Live Music: Listen to live performances from local musicians.
- Craft Fair: Browse a wide range of handmade crafts and artwork from local artisans.
- Food Vendors: Savor delicious food and drink offerings, including autumnal treats like apple cider and pumpkin pie.
Celebrate Local Produce at the Mars Applefest
The Mars Applefest is a celebration of the local apple harvest. The festival features live music, local vendors, and a variety of apple-themed foods.
- Apple-Themed Foods: Sample a wide range of apple-themed foods, from apple pies to caramel apples.
- Live Music: Enjoy performances from local bands and musicians.
- Local Vendors: Support local businesses by browsing their wares and goods.
- Free Activities for Kids: Keep the little ones entertained with a variety of free activities.
Embrace the Spooky Season at Zombies of the Corn
Are you a fan of all things spooky? If so, Zombies of the Corn in Freedom, PA, is the place to be. This unique event offers an adrenaline-pumping experience as you take on zombies in a haunted corn maze.
- Haunted Corn Maze: Navigate your way through a corn maze filled with zombies.
- Paintball Guns: Arm yourself with a paintball gun and take on the undead.
- Hayride: Enjoy a spooky hayride through the cornfield.
- Campfire Stories: Gather around a campfire to hear ghost stories and enjoy some marshmallows.
So, pull out your flannel, get ready for some pumpkin picking, and immerse yourself in the vibrant colors of fall. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, these fall festivals near Pittsburgh offer something for everyone. Enjoy the season!