Jefferson Hills is a borough in Allegheny County approximately 15 miles south of the city of Pittsburgh, and about 16 square miles. This Pittsburgh Suburb dates back to 1828 when it was created as the township of Jefferson out of a part of old Mifflin Township. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson.
In 1914 Jefferson Township became a “First Class” Township, and in 1950 it was chartered as a borough, although before that, in 1947, part of the township seceded and became Pleasant Hills.
Located along the southern border of Allegheny County, Jefferson Hills is mostly residential. There are many parks and trails through the borough for recreational use, including the Great Allegheny Passage, the Montour Trail and the Steel Valley Trail. There is also a rough mix of industrial, commercial, mining and farming.
Two major watersheds, the Peters Creek and the Calamity Hollow, drain into the Monogahela River. The area was the base of the Peters Creek Rangers during the Revolutionary War.
Jefferson Hills is bordered by Pleasant Hills, West Mifflin, Clairton, West Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Elizabeth Township, South Park Township and Forward Township in Allegheny County. It’s border with Washington County includes Union Township.