A Brief History of Edgewood
Edgewood is a borough in Allegheny County and is adjacent to the city of Pittsburgh. It was incorporated on the 1st of December in 1888. The borough has many historical landmarks, including the Edgewood Borough Building,the Edgewood Community House, the First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood, a train station and Koenig Community Field and Field House as well as Edgewood Primary School. Also, the Gardner-Bailey House is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fast Facts about Edgewood
Edgewood’s population was 3,118 as of 2010. The community’s adjacent neighborhoods include Swissvale, Wilkinsburg, the city of Pittsburgh and Forest Hills. Notable people that have hailed from Edgewood include David Conrad, James L. Swauger, an archaeologist, abolitionist (and early leader of the women’s movement) Jane Grey Swisshelm, George Westinghouse, NASA rocket scientist Samuel Lewis, businessman Willard Rockwell and more. The most popular age in Edgewood is 25-44 with 36 percent of the population. Nine Mile Run, an urban watershed, passes through the borough. The median household income in Edgewood in the 2010 Census was approximately $52,000. Edgewood is governed by a mayor and borough council. The mayor of Edgewood is known as Mayor J. Edward Cook. Councilwoman Schaefer is the president of the council.