A Brief History of Brentwood
Brentwood is a borough in Allegheny County whose population was 9,643 as of the 2010 census. Brentwood is over 100 years old and was once a part of Baldwin Township. In 1914, a group of people from the community went to the Baldwin Township Board of Commissioners and complained about the lack of essential neighborhood items lie sidewalks, sewers, police and a school. Their requests went ignored so secession was ultimately discussed. On November 6, 1915, Brentwood was officially seceded from Baldwin and was incorporated in May the following year. On Labor Day 1928 the borough celebrated the official opening of its park, pool and paving of Brownsville Rd.
Facts about Brentwood
A Hall of Fame NFL linebacker named Joe Schmidt played for Brentwood High School. Brentwood has three borders, including Carrick, Whitehall and Baldwin. Brentwood is served by the Brentwood Borough School District. Brentwood’s first school was Moore Elementary, which began as a four-room school house. It is still in use by students and teachers. The neighborhood soon outgrew Moore and built another school, Elroy, and ended up renovating both schools by 1925. By the late ’60s, the state ended up starting to consolidate school districts. Some wished for Brentwood to be folded into Baldwin-Whitehall. A 1972 a new building with classrooms and an indoor pool was built. Finally, in 1997 a Board of Directors modernized Elroy and Moore schools. Meanwhile, a Catholic school in the area, St. Sylvester’s, opened in 1948.