Whitehall, a borough in Allegheny County, is located about 6 miles south of downtown Pittsburgh. The origin of the borough’s name is rumored to be either from a tavern owned by Silas D. Prior named the “White Hall”, now actually located in Brentwood, or because the land that the borough occupies was originally called “Whitehall Driving Park.”
Whitehall was originally part of Baldwin. By 1948, it had separated and became an independant municipality after a secession process began by it’s residents in 1946. They were seeking their own municipal services. Whitehall is currently a “home rule” community with a mayor and 7 council members, and has been since 1975.
The borough has easy access to the Pittsburgh from Route 51, and a few county buslines. Shopping is convenient as is dining, and it is a quiet, residential community. It is bordered by the City neighborhood Overbrook and the suburbs of Brentwood, Baldwin, Bethel Park and Castle Shannon.