Baldwin Borough is located about 10 miles south of the city of Pittsburgh in Allegheny County. It is bordered by the Pittsburgh Neighborhoods of Arlington, the South Side, Hays, Carrick and St. Clair. It is also bordered by the Pittsburgh Suburbs of West Mifflin, Pleasant Hills, South Park Township, Bethel Park, Whitehall and Brentwood.
The area was originally part of larger Baldwin Township and named for Henry Baldwin, a Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice from 1830-1844 who opened a law office in Pittsburgh in 1799. The Borough was incorporated in 1952 from parts of Baldwin Township, which was incorporated in 1843 and parts of the City of Pittsburgh.
Located in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, Baldwin Borough has easy access to the city as well as 1.6 miles of frontage on the Monongahela river. It is primarily a residential area. The log home pictured was built by the Willett family in the early 1800s. James Hays purchased the land in the 1860s, and later the property was used as a dairy farm. It was donated to the Borough in 2003 when the land it stood on was donated by the family. The structure was then moved to it’s current location at the Borough Building.