Banksville is a Pittsburgh neighborhood located in the southwestern part of the City of Pittsburgh. The neighborhood is bordered by the city neighborhoods of Beechview and Ridgemont and by the municipalities of Green Tree, Mt. Lebanon, and Dormont.
Originally settled by Isaac Sellers in 1773, the area was sold to the Carnahan family in 1789. Plans for the neighborhood were laid out after the Civil War, and soon Scotch-Irish settlers began to flow into the area, developing it as a farming and coal mining community. By 1914 the coal mines were exhausted and the mining industry left the area to move to more prosperous parts of Pittsburgh. Part of Union Township, Banksville was annexed by the city of Pittsburgh in 1928.Some of the original coal mines included the Coal Ridge Mine, Venture Mine, and Enterprise Mine, all serviced by the Pittsburgh, Carnegie and Western railroads.
Today, the Banksville Road corridor is one of the most heavily trafficked roads, serving as a link between downtown Pittsburgh and the South Hills. The residents of Banksville live in homes ranging from stately older homes to contemporary housing built within the last 30 years. The community is served by Banksville Park, housing a popular swimming pool, playground, tennis courts, ball fields and a community center.