The territory in which the Borough is situated was held by the Delaware and Shawnee tribes until 1768 when the territory was part of the transaction in which Fort Stanwix was purchased from the Six Nations. In following years, Dormont’s area was part of Cumberland County, Pitt Township in Bedford County, Penn Township in Washington County, and finally, St. Clair Township in Allegheny County in 1788.
Dormont was originally fashioned as a borough from parts of Scott and Union Townships. An order of incorporation was signed on March 31, 1909, making Dormont the first independent municipality in the South Hills of Allegheny County. The first election of Borough officials was held on April 27, 1909. Dormont later annexed part of Scott Township in 1909, two additional parts of Union Township in 1913 and 1916, and a portion of Mt. Lebanon Township in January of 1921, giving it a total area of just less than one square mile.
With the construction of the streetcar tunnel and the Liberty Tunnels came rapid development and a great increase in population. Through the years, the convenience of the borough, plus the amenities offered its residents, has kept it densely populated. Its citizens enjoy the large swimming pool, two parks, basketball and tennis courts, a Little League field, a fine library, achildren’s playground, and seasonal activities for both children and adults. Dormont’s school system, a jointure with the boroughs of Castle Shannon and Green Tree, is comprised of Dormont Elementary School, Keystone Oaks Middle School and Keystone Oaks High School.
The renovation of the former Hillsdale School building into a Municipal Center expanded the Borough’s administrative offices and the Police Department’s facilities. At the same time, a new fire station was built across the street. Both the police and the volunteer firemen are trained in the latest policies, programs and procedures in order to provide a consistantly high level of protection for Dormont residents and businesses.
The Dormont Historical Society was organized in March 1999 to preserve the memories and memorabilia of the Dormont area. In a very short time, the need for a permanent base became apparent. Borough Council saw the value of the work being done by the Society and allocated it a room in the new Municipal Center.
The residents of Dormont take such pride and interest in their community. With a variety of historical sites, combined with new business and upcoming events, Dormont continues to live up to the name, “a mountain of gold”.
*our thanks to John V. for this content