Millvale is a borough just north and east of the city of Pittsburgh. It’s located on the northern side of the Allegheny River, just across the 40th Street Bridge from Lawrenceville.
In the mid 1700’s, Millvale was at the start of the Venango trail, leading all the way to Lake Erie. Girty’s Run Creek is named for Simon Girty, one of the first settlers… he was orphaned when his father was killed by the native Seneca tribe, and subsequently raised by them. He actually fought for the colonials in the Revolution, and then later the Seneca and the British… moving to Canada after the war.
At the conclusion of the Revolutionary war, many soldiers were given land as compensation. John Sample, one of these soldiers, was awarded land in what is now known as Millvale. A stone house on Evergreen was built by one of his grandsons.
Allegheny City purchased 164 acres of the John Sample estate and ran a Poor Farm on the site for 23 years. Bringing industry into Millvale, a forge owned by Henry Phipps in 1847 was where Andrew Carnegie worked as a bookkeeper. Phipps sold the mill and with Carnegie founded Carnegie Steel.
With steel came the railroad industry. Millvale was growing and a public school and post office were established. In 1868, the borough of Millvale was incorporated from parts of Shaler Township and Duquesne Borough. The name Millvale comes from the industry and location… a mill in a valley. After the Civil War the borough began to expand even more with a connection via bridge across the Allegheny to Lawrenceville. The early 1900s saw many an expansion of the school system as well as businesses such as breweries, a grocery and candy store and an opera house.