Shaler Township is located north and east of the City of Pittsburgh. It is bordered by Hampton Township, Indiana Township, O’Hara Township, Sharpsburg, Etna, Pittsburgh, Millvale, Reserve Township, and Ross Township.
The area was first settled in the mid 1700s by traders in Big Pine Creek Valley and Girtys Run Valley. Furs and skins were traded with Native Americans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Glenshaw, currently at the center of Shaler, was established in the early 1800s by John Shaw, Sr. He purchased several hundred acres of land on which was constructed a sawmill. It was known as “Shaw’s Glen.” As time went by, many small communities such as Cherry City, Bauerstown, Cabbage and Sharps Hill, Undercliff, Elfinwild and Glenshaw were all part of the greater area. In 1847 the township was officially incorporated. It also included at the time the boroughs of Millvale and Etna, as well as parts of Ross Township.
The name of the township comes from Judge Charles Shaler, a prominent judge in the Pittsburgh area who served as President Judge of the 5th District Court in Beaver County.
1868 saw Millvale and Etna incorporate into independent boroughs, and Shaler shrank in territory. Considered a “Second Class” township until 1900, Shaler officially incorporated as a “First Class” township at that time.
Known for it’s quiet neighborhoods, rolling hills and beautiful foliage, today the area is comprised of a mix of families, businesses and shopping areas. Mt. Royal Boulevard from the north travels to connect with Route 8 in the southern part of the township for easy access to the City of Pittsburgh.