Pitcairn, a borough located about 15 miles east of Pittsburgh, was incorporated in 1894. Named for Robert Pitcairn, former superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Pittsburgh Division, it was originally a rail yard constructed in 1880 on his order. This yard, along Turtle Creek, would become for a time the largest rail yard in the world. The area around was laid out to accommodate the construction of homes as a village for the railroad workers. As the neighborhood grew, the residents needed commercial services along with police, fire and post… thus they formed the community of Pitcairn.
World War II saw more than 200 trains a day through the yard with troops and supplies. Pitcairn was critical to the war effort. This rail yard became the Conrail Pittsburgh Intermodal Facility in 1996, and still handles more than 100 trains each day.
Easy access to the city of Pittsburgh allows this quaint neighborhood to support a healthy lifestyle with multiple athletic fiedls and parks. Housing is affordable and there are many businesses and opportunities along the main street, Broadway Blvd. (Route 130).
Pitcairn also operates its own power distribution system and municipally owned Government-access television (GATV) cable television system.
It is surrounded by the borough of Monroeville.