Spring Garden, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, was originally settled in the early 1850’s by mostly German immigrants. The area takes it’s name from the plethora of natural springs found in the hills and valleys. Spring Garden Avenue, the main road through the neighborhood, follows the floor of the valley and separates the two adjacent hilltop neighborhoods of Spring Hill and Troy Hill. Early settlers of the area known as Allegheny City spread out into Spring Garden as the city grew. They were mostly laborers working in slaughterhouses, factories and tanneries.
The initial growth of the area in the mid 1800’s was industrial in nature. It was the center of the meat packing, tanning and soap production districts in Pittsburgh. As the settlers needed to live close to where they made their living, the homes of Spring Garden were tucked neatly in rows along the roads and hillsides. While through the years as industry left the area, and many of the homes were demolished, quite a few of them are still standing today. The community still retains much of it’s industrial heritage and feel and many generations of residents still call it home.
Recently, Wigle Whiskey was established in the neighborhood and has earned a national reputation, sparking renewed development and interest in the area. With it’s proximity to the bus line on Spring Garden Ave., Allegheny General Hospital and downtown Pittsburgh, the area has become known as an affordable and convenient place to live.