Originally named the village of New Troy, Troy Hill was incorporated in 1833. Settled by German immigrants working in the mills, breweries and railroads in Pittsburgh along the Allegheny River, the migration began as a small Catholic Church opened a cemetery in 1842. 1877 saw Troy Hill become the 13th ward of Allegheny City, later annexed in it’s entirety into the City of Pittsburgh.
There are six historic landmarks in the neighborhood: the Troy Hill Firehouse, Saint Anthony’s Chapel, the Rectory of Most Holy Name of Jesus, the Troy Hill Incline Building, the Allegheny Reservoir Wall, and the Ober-Guehl house.
The hill was also the site of one of Pittsburgh’s famous inclines, in operation from 1888 unitl 1898. It was one of only a few inclines constructed on the north side of Pittsburgh. It was 370 feet long and cost about $94,000 to construct at the time!