Mt. Oliver is actually a stand-alone borough fully within the City of Pittsburgh’s limits. Situated atop a hill crest about 3 miles west of the Monongahela River, it has resisted all attempts at annexation into the city, as it prefers to remain autonomous.
The origins of Mt. Oliver begin in the mid 1700’s, when John Ormsby, an officer under the command of General Forbes, was granted 249 acres south of what later became Pittsburgh by George III. The Ormsby family is documented as the oldest family of distinguished lineage in the Pittsburgh area.
During the 1800’s, the land containing this neighborhood was slowly partitioned and sold as the area was more heavily settled. In the late 1800’s, the Township of Lower St. Clair (of which Mt. Oliver was part) could no longer support the communities growing needs, so the citizens petitioned to incorporate as an independant borough. It was made official at the end of 1892.
Today, Mt. Oliver is completely surrounded by the city of Pittsburgh. The business district runs the length of the neighborhood, from the South Side slopes to Carrick. The borough also borders the city neighborhood which bares the same name.