Turtle Creek, a borough in Allegheny County, is about 12 miles southeast of the city of Pittsburgh. The name of the borough comes from the stream that flows through this Pittsburgh suburb to the Monongahela River. Prior to the arrival of settlers, the Turtle Clan of the Iroquois Nation inhabited the valley. Turtle Creek is the English translation of the Native American name for the area because of the abundance of… turtles.
George Westinghouse constructed his Air Brake facility in nearby Wilmerding in 1889, sparking commercial and residential growth throughout the area, including this borough. In 1742, John Fraser established the nearby town of Braddock at the mouth of Turtle Creek. It was the first permanent English settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains.
The creek’s headwaters begin in Delmont, located in Westmoreland County a few miles to the east.
Today, Turtle Creek is known for it’s quiet residential neighborhoods and is home to Woodland Hills School District’s “Wolvarena”… the site of many high school football matches. It’s proximity to the suburb of Monroeville and the City of Pittsburgh make it a convenient place to live, with access to many shopping and recreational areas.