Richland Township is in northern Allegheny County, about 18 miles northwest of the city of Pittsburgh. It is known for it’s rolling hills, streams and a large 80 acre community park. The township is approximately 14.6 square miles. It features areas of existing homes, new construction, parks and recreation as well as commercial districts with shopping and dining. It is convenient to the PA Turnpike, Route 8 and Interstate 79, giving it quick access to the city and surrounding area.
The year 1800 saw one of the first settlers, John Crawford, build a log cabin on 403 acres of what was then Pine Township. His home was the first in the area that was to become present day Richland Township. As the area grew, small towns such as Bakerstown and Gibsonia sprung up in and around Richland.
Gibsonia grew as a result of it’s location on the Pittsburgh, New Castle and Lake Erie Railroad. The grade of the section of track in the area considered to be one of the steepest. The single narrow gauge track was laid in 1870 and ran from the City of Allegheny to New Castle and then parts out west. Charles Gibson, Jr. was the first president of the rail line.
The McKelvy Stop Farm, built on Meridian Road in 1878 was one of the original homes in the area on what was known as “Depreciation Lands’ and granted to Michael and George Gundaker in 1786. As settlement occurred on these former Indian lands, 1880 would see Richland Township become and official “neighborhood”. By 1906, North Pittsburgh Telephone Company would serve the area.