Sheraden, located on the west end of Pittsburgh, is bordered by Elliot, Windgap, Chartiers City, Crafton Heights and Esplen. The area’s namesake, William Sheraden, purchased 156 acres of land in 1856 to farm. His orignal home still stands on Bergman Street, site of 2 trees that have grown together as an arch. His grandson, William Bockstoce, was an internationally know horticulturalist… the trees are considered part of his legacy.
Incorporated as an independent Borough in 1894, the area grew quickly and was annexed into the City of Pittsburgh in 1907. The original farm plots were sold off to settlers and immigrants migrating to the City of Pittsburgh for work in the many coal mines and steel mills. Trolley service, roads and bridges were built to accommodate the growing population.
There are many buildings from the early 1900s are still standing today, as well as many of Sheraden’s stately homes. A few of the streets have cliffside homes with some of the most remarkable views of the rivers and downtown Pittsburgh.