A Brief History of West View
A borough in Allegheny County, West View is located just north of downtown Pittsburgh. As of 2010, the population was 6,771. The borough is very small, totaling only one square mile. An integral part of the area’s history was West View Park. Pittsburgh native T.M. Harton bought the land in the local Valley when it was just a swamp. The Amusement Park opened on May 23, 1906. The first rides at the park were a carousel, chute ride and roller coaster. There was also an open air dance hall, the largest dance hall in western PA at the time. There was also a Penny Arcade, pony rides and rowboats on a small lake. The park lasted until 1977 when other amusement parks began installing expensive rides and West View Park couldn’t compete.
Fun Facts about West View
Seniors residing in the area have a borough pass where they can ride for free 27 times in year on Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. This historic neighborhood won a Banner Community award for 2016. The area adopted a slogan which is “A Good Place to Live.”