Pine Township, a suburb of Pittsburgh in Northern Allegheny County, was established in 1796. Originally, it was the size of 11 current and parts of 3 other townships. Once Ohio Township was established in 1803, Pine included Ross, Reserve, McCandless, Pine, Allegheny City and parts of Richland, Hampton and Shaler. It was then narrowed down to it’s current size of 17 square miles.
The first settler, Thomas Rodgers, arrived in 1796. Samuel Beatty is also considered one of the first settlers in the area. Old Franklin Road, established early in the history of Pine Township, gave way to more settlement. Wexford, a postal village, was established in 1828.
Many of the early settlers of Pine Township were farmers. The first church, Cross Roads Presbyterian, was established in 1827 and is an active congregation to this day. The first school opened in 1800.
Today Pine Township is a mix of green space, with the Pine Community Center, fishing pond and a nature preserve. There are also commercial districts in Wexford and TheVillage at Pine. The area is growing as a destination for those looking for a peaceful, scenic and convenient place to live and work close to Pittsburgh.