Green Tree is a borough located just south of Pittsburgh. Settled in 1793, the area was named for a large sycamore tree along old Greentree Road, used by stage coaches to deliver mail. This road was also traveled by George Washington using the Native American trail in search of a more direct route between Fort Pitt and Fort Henry in West Virginia.
The logo of the borough is a rendering of this original tree. The area was very rural until the late 1800’s, when the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway opened Rook Station in 1904, leading industrialization into the area with a railyard and roundhouse.
The area was known as Peters Township, St. Clair Township, Lower St. Clair, Chartiers, Kirkpatrick and Union before it was incorporated as Green Tree in 1885. It was also once part of the state of Virginia!
The police department in the borough was founded in 1908, with only one part-time police officer. The Green Tree public library was founded in the 1940’s and was staffed by volunteers!
The borough’s local schools have been in place since the 1885 incorporation. Today Green Tree is the site of many commercial enterprises and hotels. Visitors from around the world use this area’s accomodations because of it’s proximity to the City of Pittsburgh and easy access to shopping, dining and the Pittsburgh International Airport.