Pittsburghers all know being from the city is a huge part they carry with them throughout their lives, regardless of whether they live in the city for life or they move across the country. Pittsburgh is unique and wonderful and has taught us all many life lessons. These are just a few of some of the many ways growing up in Pittsburgh has shaped us all.
1. You learned how to be patient from Parkway traffic jams.
2. You learned how to be good to your neighbor by letting an elderly person cut in front of you in the Giant Eagle line.
3. Your fear of heights was eradicated when your dad made you ride the Thunderbolt as a kid.
4. You didn’t visit a therapist growing up—you dealt with all your anger issues during Steeler games.
5. Speaking of sports, you learned what loyalty meant when you heard names like Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris and Mario Lemieux.
6. You have trouble understanding why names like North Versailles and DuBois are pronounced differently outside of Pittsburgh.
7. You learned what it means to be a great friend from Mikey and Big Bob on 96.1 KISS-FM.
8. You know how personally frustrating it feels when someone asks you if Pittsburgh is close to Philadelphia.
9. You know what it means to be from hearty Pittsburgh stock when you move to another city and schools close for two inches of snow.
10. You learned about true kindness from Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
11. When you grow up and learn the average cost of a wedding is around $30,000, you can’t help but wonder if people have ever heard of a fire hall wedding.