As part of DOORS OPEN Pittsburgh, an annual two-day event that provides unprecedented access to buildings around the city, we are featuring 20 of the many buildings participating.
Today’s building is the Priory Hotel.
A Brief History of the Priory Hotel
The Priory Hotel was a former Benedictine monastery. It is now a 42-room family owned and operated boutique hotel. It is located on the North Side of Pittsburgh. It was built in 1888 and is just a short distance from Pittsburgh hotspots like PNC Park and the Warhol Museum. The Priory originally had 25 guest rooms that were restored to their original 19th century glory. The Graf family did the restoration almost 35 years ago, bringing in Edwardian era antiques and reproductions.
In 2011, the Graf family unveiled their new wing of the hotel. In addition to the 17 new guest rooms, there was a new front desk and pub called The Monks’ Bar added. A new fitness center and business center, as well as a meeting space completed the $2.7 million upgrade. The Priory Hotel is home to one of the city’s most gorgeous ballrooms, The Grand Hall at the Priory Hotel (set in an adjoining old church). The Priory has an intimate and cozy European feel, perfect for guests looking for a quiet oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city.
For tickets to this outstanding event, you can visit Doors Open Pittsburgh here.
Buildings already featured here on Pittsburgh Beautiful: