Photo by JC McGreehan
We all know Pittsburgh is one of the best cities in the world. During the holidays, it transforms into an even more magical place. Here are 17 of the many reasons Pittsburgh is the best city in the world during the holiday season.
17. Sledding at Schenley Park
There’s something so delightful about sledding in Schenley Park that you feel like a kid again.
16. The Wintergarden at PPG Place
There’s nothing better in the cold winter than PPG Place’s indoor garden.
15. The Nationality Rooms at the Cathedral of Learning
There’s just something cozy and inviting about them during the holiday season.
14. The way the city looks after a fresh snowfall
After a fresh snow, there’s a certain quiet and peacefulness about the city.
13. Holiday versions of our favorite team gear
There’s nothing more fun than a Steeler Santa hat or a Pens holiday jersey.
12. Holiday lights at Kennywood
Kennywood is extra special during the holiday season when it’s lit up with twinkling lights.
11. The Science Center’s Miniature Railroad & Village
Seeing the railroad has become a Christmas tradition for years in the area.
10. Cookies, cookies and more cookies
Thumbprints, Smiley cookies, pizzelles, you name it, chances are a Pittsburgh bakery makes it!
9. Light up Night’s magic
The night brings the unofficial kickoff to the Pittsburgh holiday season.
8. The Carnegie Museum of Art’s Christmas trees
The trees are truly breathtaking and definitely worth a look.
7. The Créche
The Pittsburgh Créche is the only authorized replica of the nativity scene at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.
6. Phipps’ Winter Flower Show
The gorgeous transformation every year makes for an exciting trip to see what Phipps dreamed up.
5. All the opportunities to ice skate
4. Driving around to look at all the holiday light displays
Pittsburgh neighborhoods don’t disappoint when it comes to holiday light displays.
3. Local churches decorated for Christmas
2. Doing holiday shopping at local small businesses.
1. The people of our city coming together to be even warmer and friendlier than usual!
Pittsburgh is full of wonderful people. Those people believe it or not give even MORE wonderful over the holiday season.