Munhall, located just southeast of the city of Pittsburgh, was originally settled in the late 1700s. It was originally part of Mifflin Township , owned by John McClure and passed down through his family. In the 1850s, the family began to subdivide the area to raise funds. The city of Pittsburgh bought 150 acres for a poor farm, among many other purchases.
113 acres of Munhall were sold in 1872 to an insurance and banking company that laid out the plans for a town called Homestead. At this time, the industrial revolution was in full swing and railroads and steel companies such as the Pittsburgh, Virginia and Charleston Railroad, Kloman and the Pittsburgh Bessemer Steel Companies were buying land and erecting facilities. These facilities became property of the Carnegie group in 1883, know as the Homestead Mills. The Carnegie companies eventually purchased the Poor Farm and more land to expand the Homestead works and also sold lots to the workers for the construction of their homes. A steel town at it’s finest.
The Munhall family was one of the original land owners of the area who sold property to the Carnegie Land company. The borough was incorporated in 1901 and named as such. It was formed from part of “East Homestead”, Munhall Station and the steel properties which were by that time in the control of United States Steel Corporation.
Carnegie hired the designer of Central Park, Frederick Olmstead to visit and design the plan of homes around his new library. He utilized 2 lane streets, green space and utilities running to the rear of properties, for an aesthetic appearance. Truly a pioneer. The mills supplied much of the electricity and natural gas for these homes until the late 1940s.
This Pittsburgh Suburb is about 6 miles from the city, and located conveniently near the South Side and South Hills of Pittsburgh. The Waterfront development offers a plethora of shopping and entertainment. It is also close to Sandcastle Water Park and Kennywood.