Glen Osborne

Glen Osborne

Glen Osborne is a borough in Allegheny County located about 12 miles west of Pittsburgh.  It is a small community with approximately 200 homes, and part of the Quaker Valley School District, which also comprises Sewickley.  It’s border with said community offers walking distance to shopping and dining, as well as convenience to the city of Pittsburgh.

First surveyed for settlement after the Revolutionary War, it was part of a large portion of land (called Depreciation Lands) that was granted to Continental Army Veterans in lieu of payment in currency. Nathaniel Breading, the original surveyor, named the tract Aleppo.  1786 saw large portions of the area sold to Henry Pratt, which later became the borough.  1851 saw the railroad move into the area, and a few of the railroad barons chose the area as home, having their own rail stops.

Frank Osburn, owner of land on the eastern boundary of the area, is the namesake of the borough.  His land was the site of the first public rail station in Glen Osborne.  His last name was changed to the current spelling to alleviate any confusion with another station on the line with a similar name.  In 1883, the borough was officially incorporated at Osborne.  A subsequent rail station was then named “Glen Osborne”, and the borough took this name in 2008.

Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
Glen Osborne
glen osborne

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!

X
%d bloggers like this: