Marshall-Shadeland, on the north side of Pittsburgh, was originally annexed by Allegheny City in 1870. It is a largely residential area bordered by Woods Run Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Riverview Park, Highwood and Uniondale Cemeteries. It’s bordered by the neighborhoods of Brighton Heights, Observatory Hill, Perry South, Manchester, California-Kirkbride and Chateau. It’s borders extend west to the Ohio River, but California Avenue services as the “urban border.” The State Correctional Institution of Pittsburgh sits on this land between California Avenue and the Ohio River.
John Ross, one of the first settlers in Marshall-Shadeland, originally called the area “Woods Run”. The Carnegie Library Branch is still known as the Woods Run Branch. In 1974 the Pittsburgh Department of Urban Planning referred to the area as “Shadeland-Halls Grove”.
The name Marshall-Shadeland came about in a 1977 neighborhood atlas that stated the area was named for Archibald Marshall, an Irish grocer and merchant. The area is now mostly Slovak with descendants of Irish, German, Russian and Italian as well.
In another twist of names, the area has recently been referred to as Brightwood, with a community group, the Brightwood Civic Group, being organized. The City of Pittsburgh’s website began in 2011 to refer to the neighborhood as “Marshall-Shadeland (Brightwood).