Oakmont, a borough in Allegheny County east of the city of Pittsburgh, has it’s beginnings when a large tract of land about 15 miles north-northeast of the city was purchased by a farmer named Michael Bright. A tree, used as a landmark in the deed is how this Pittsburgh Suburb got it’s name. The deed stated “Beginning at a black oak on the bank of the Allegheny River …” The neighborhood was officially incorporated as a borough in 1889.
It is home to historic Oakmont Country Club, ranked consistently among the top five golf courses in the world. The club has hosted nine U.S. Open Championships (1927, 1935, 1953, 1962, 1973, 1983, 1994, 2007 and 2016) and is to host it’s tenth in 2025. O
Oakmont is also home to the tenth library commissioned by Andrew Carnegie (Carnegie Library), built in 1899. An addition was added (over 100 years later) between 2003 and 2005. The Kerr Memorial museum, originally the Kerr family home built in 1898 is also located in the borough.
1938 saw construction and opening of the Oaks Theater with a parade hosted by both Oakmont and neighboring Verona. Originally a single screen, art deco theater, it was remodeled in 2015 into a multi-purpose venue.
The Hulton Bridge, constructed in 1908, was a prominent landmark for all that traveled the region. It was demolished in 2016, at the time one of the oldest bridges of it’s type in America, and replaced by a modern structure.
Oakmont has a thriving business district on Allegheny River Boulevard, the main street through the community along the banks of the Allegheny River.