A Brief History of Braddock Hills
Braddock Hills is a borough in Allegheny County and located about 8 miles east of downtown Pittsburgh. The neighborhood is located just north and west of the place where Gen. Edward Braddock was defeated during the French and Indian War. One of the main roads in the city, Brinton Road, was originally an Indian trail used by the area’s indigenous people to keep watch on enemies. The other road, called Braddock Road, was used by farmers and coal miners. Braddock was settled in 1753, back when it was part of Wilkins Township. After Braddock had been broken up into North Braddock, Rankin and Swissvale, the last bit remaining incorporating itself as Braddock Hills. Braddock Hills experienced a gigantic housing boom after the second World War. Men coming home used their VA loans to buy freshly built homes. Braddock Hills housed a drive-in from 1959 through 1976 called the Ardmore Drive-In. It was later torn down to build a shopping center that hosted a Sunday flea market.
Facts about Braddock Hills
Like most communities in our area, Braddock Hills was formerly a coal town. Due to the multiple coal mines abandoned around the community, sinkholes developed in an area locals nicknamed the coal fields. During the ’70s, the coal fields were home to a baseball field that was accessible via dirt road. The Braddock Catholic Cemetery in town is a focal point of the community. It is where many mill workers were buried. Leonard A. Funk, a medal of honor recipient, called Braddock Hills home. Kingsley Carey, former Tuskegee Airmen member also called Braddock Hills home, along with his wife Velma.