History of North Braddock
In 1755, General Edward Braddock used John Fraser, a Scottish trader, as a guide with General Washington as an aide on an expedition. They hoped to expel the French at Fort Duquesne. Braddock ended up dying and the area where he was shot was known as Braddock’s Field. There are historical makers that identify the site today. Braddock’s Battlefield History Center commemorates the battle. During the 18th century, farming was popular in North Braddock. Whiskey actually became a profitable trade along the nearby Monongahela River. Much of the whiskey was traded down to New Orleans. However, a 1794 tax on whiskey was created to over 8,000 settlers dismay.
They protested and President Washington led an army to try and stop the rebellion. North Braddock celebrated its borough centennial with a festival in June of 1997. North Braddock is home to the former Wallace Mansion, which was built by Judge George Wallace after the French and Indian War. Wallace built it as his summer home and even the Marquis de Lafayette visited it. After Wallace died his nephew unfortunately lost the building due to a sheriff sale. Later, the home was used as a boarding school, the Edgeworth Ladies Seminary.
Facts about North Braddock
North Braddock has a total of five land borders. There’s Braddock Hills, Wilkins Township, Chalfant and East Pittsburgh, as well as Braddock. North Braddock runs adjacent to legendary Pittsburgh amusement park Kennywood. At one point the community had 16,782 in 1930 at the height of the steel industry. Unfortunately, due to the decline of the industry, the population is now at just under 5,000.