There’s nothing like a Pittsburgh childhood. We are all connected by a few key adventures, places and stories. We put together a list of 25 ways you know you grew up in Pittsburgh. Happy reminiscing!
1. Your church clothes were a Steelers jersey.
2. The phrase “Tony’s got it!” makes you both laugh and cringe.
3. You have a whole drawer dedicated to Steelers, Pirates and Pens gear.
4. Pop is what you drank at parties as a child, not soda.
5. You trick-or-treated in pretty decent snowstorms.
6. You know what “Kennywood’s open” means.
7. Your geography classes consisted of learning about the terrain of who the Steelers played that week.
8. You insist fries do in fact belong on salads.
9. You played by the “crick” as a kid.
10. Colteryahn iced tea kept you cool all summer.
11. Your first beer was an IC Light.
12. The first day of Deer Hunting meant no school.
13. You know hoagies are for lunch, not subs or heroes.
14. You spent St. Patrick’s Days testing your limits.
15. Your first car’s license plate read: You’ve got a friend in Pennsylvania.”
16. Parking chairs. That’s all we need to say.
17. You learned how to “tap the 57” in an Eat N’ Park.
18. You’ll never forget the day you were old enough to remember what it was like to go through the Fort Pitt Tunnel.
19. You were shown a movie based solely on the fact that it was filmed in Pittsburgh.
20. Three words: Isaly’s skyscraper cone.
21. Every celebration revolved around food. Seriously, there were certain bakeries and eateries for certain holidays only.
22. You thought all weddings had cookies and were disappointed to find it not true when you grew up.
23. Fridays were meant for fish.
24. Weekends before you turned 21 were spent at Club Zoo.
25. Your spelling bees were vicious, due to words like Monongahela and Youghiogheny.
The wedding cookies for sure. So disappointed to go to a wedding other than Italian or slovak.
Nothing like a Slovak wedding,Slovak Christmas,Slovak funeral,Slovak New Year,Slovak Easter,etc,etc,etc.
I remember most of those things. It is heartwarming to see those familiar places and things. I now live in Lebanon Pa. I miss Pgh. but I have family living there and still get to come home. I like the pictures Rueben submitted of Point Park.
Love and remember all of these.
Pittsburgh is someplace special!! Remember that?
I miss the wedding cookies most here in the Midwest. Love to go home for a wedding.
About half of these are only relevant since like 1975 – the rest – yes1
My daughter got married about a year ago. We showed Florida how to have a wedding, cookies and all! Way under most wedding budgets and so many people said it was the best wedding reception they have ever been to!
Thank you, this brings back many great memories of growing up in Pittsburgh.
Fantastic! I loved each and every one of them!
Some Great Memories of My Youth ?